June 13, 2015

Coming Home.

Well.....it's official my friends.

We have left the hospital! This post comes to you right from the living room of home. 




This week has felt so surreal. There were so many moments where I felt like the hospital really going to be our "home." To be able to buckle Adalyn in our car and drive away was the absolute best feeling. For over a month I would see new little families take their babies home...and felt so jealous and happy that they were able to take their baby home. This week was our turn.

The morning we took her home, I thought over and over about our time in the NICU. It was hard. Physically, emotionally, and spiritually. However.....I will be forever grateful for the absolutely amazing people we met there.

For example....Meet Elisa, our nurse practitioner. She was with us from Day 1.....right after Adalyn was born. She impacted our lives in so many ways....and we are better off because of knowing her....and for all of the things she has done for our little girl.


Some of our nurses and Occupational Therapists....which I kick myself for not getting pictures of...also impacted our lives so greatly because of their big hearts. For being there for me on the days that I was a mess of tears.

The past few days of being home have been beautiful. Yet so many parts of me still feel so afraid. 

It is so hard for us to watch Adalyn continue to have seizures. To wonder if any medicine will be able to work. To sit back and feel so helpless.....and pray and pray that she comes back out of it.

I am afraid at times....of thinking of the future. Wondering if we will ever find that sense of "normal" again. Wondering if I will always be paranoid to even walk out of the room....without a fear of what will happen if I'm not there. Or waking up in the middle of the night hearing her oxygen monitor beeping and my heart sinking...wondering if it is yet another seizure....or is she just kicking her feet around?

This picture melts my heart!

I find myself still mourning the life that Adalyn won't be living......mourning for the questions that remain unanswered. Will she be able to run through the sprinklers? Blow bubbles and eat otter pops during the summer? Build snowmen? Dance around in the rain? Walk? Run? Ride a bike?

I know those are silly thoughts.....but they are at times the type of thoughts that haunt me in the middle of the night. Or cause me to sit in the closet and cry....until my amazing husband comes to find me...and cries with me. 



Recently, I was reminded of something David said to me on the day we got married. We were sitting next to each other....right before the ceremony and David took my left hand....twirling my ring around. He asked if I knew why he picked my ring. I think I expected some witty reply....I shrugged my shoulders and laughed..

He looked at me and said....."We are like the pieces on the outside.....and God is the center. As long as we keep putting Him first....we will have forever. We can get through anything."

I have thought of that each time I have looked at my hand this week.


Trails test you to your absolute limits. I have prayed with angry hot tears streaming down my face. I have prayed with tears of gratitude. I have prayed questioning His plan for us. I have prayed truly wondering if we could get through this. I have prayed for each happy moment of pure peace we have had with her.

Having Adalyn in our lives has brought us to our knees more than I can count. Having her in our lives has made us seek daily to be better. To be better for her. To be the best parents we can be in facing this situation.

We are far from having this all figured out. Going to the store by myself to by a few groceries was such an odd feeling. We still haven't yet got all the way up to cooking our own dinners yet. That sense of normal hasn't kicked in. Hopefully by next week! For now...we are so thankful for his lovely sister Heather in feeding us amazing dinners.

Baby steps.

For now, we are trying to be grateful for the moment we are in. For the moments we can kiss her sweet cheeks and toes. For the moments I get to watch David tell her stories.....or work on "bicycle kicks" with her. For the moments that we get to sway her to sleep in our arms.

Those moments are too beautiful to capture in words. 

It is in those moments I know that somehow, this will be okay. As David reminds me, God's plans are eternal. Often we are only seeing one piece in the pattern. Someday, we will get to see the whole masterpiece.

Just because it is complex, doesn't mean it has to be awful.

Her first time outside...and she snoozed through it!


\
Best afternoon!



This is what it's all about folks




I know I have posted this before...but this song is sums up so much of my thoughts. It is beautiful! And helps get me through tough moments!


Thank you all again for so many countless prayers on our behalf.  They truly have carried us through and strengthened us.  We have seen so many tender mercies as a result.


4 comments:

  1. Love you all to pieces. Praying every day for your little family. Hold onto those sweet moments, they make all the tears work it. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you all to pieces. Praying every day for your little family. Hold onto those sweet moments, they make all the tears work it. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been praying for you every day and have kept your names in our temple. Thank you so much for sharing your story. May God grant your every desire. Sending love . . . Ken and Kay Hinton

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture of her outside on the grass......she is smiling!!! Life's simple little pleasures.....they are the most important! Enjoy every second of her.........she is precious!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments...Are loved!