September 17, 2015

Someday...

I've thought for the past week about what I would write for our update.... I have so many different thoughts these days.... So...this is an attempt to rid my mind of all my muddled thoughts!

I can't sleep well. It seems to be a pattern these days. David and I decided to switch things up a little bit....since we were both rather lacking in the sleep department. Adalyn can't physically go more than 1-1 1/2 hours without seizing or having an awful spasm....so I take the 11pm-5am shift....and he takes 5am-11am. Yet during my "shift" I often can't even let myself doze. I lay next to her....staring at her little body....watching the rise and fall of her chest... Waiting for the moment it stops rising. I then rub her little back....and wait for her seizure to end....and for her to take a deep breath. 20 seconds can feel like a lifetime. I close my eyes....but then I get paranoid...and stare at the monitor...waiting for her heart rate to increase...or for any tell-tell signs of spasms. Anxiety? Yes...quite certainly!

My head is so full of so many thoughts that often I can't seem to shut off. Even when it is my time to be sleeping....sleep is still difficult. There are so many things that I am afraid of. So many things I wish I could change. So many days that I wouldn't change. I have worried so much that I am certain that my hair will be white by the end of the year....either that or I will be bald. (Most likely the latter....it seriously comes out in huge clumps these days!

I am deathly scared of cold season this year. Why? Well....first and foremost....we have been told since day 1 that the likely cause of Adalyn passing will be because of a respiratory illness like pneumonia. This is because so much of her body's energy is spent seizing and having spasms that it makes it harder for her to fight off any illnesses. Comforting, right?
Look closely at the hair! Out of control. Just like her dad's. I love it. 


 I am not very excited for Adalyn to start her new medicine. The next medicine we will try is Vigabatrin. It is a medicine that they suggest after everything else has failed to work. Why is that? Well....because it has quite the handful of not-so-pretty side effects. It has actually been removed from the market a few different times because of the side effects and was just brought back in 2009. Before we can even try it, we have to sign a number of forms consenting to the treatment...agreeing that if anything goes wrong we won't sue..and that we understand the risks. These aren't your average tummy-ache or diarrhea side effects. More like vision loss or subcortical edema (fluid build up in the brainstem)....to name a couple. Yet, if we do nothing, her seizures and spasms will continue to get worse. And if we don't try this medicine....we can't move on to the next possible treatment. It feels like being backed into a corner....with prickly nails.


I am nervous for Adalyn's visits at Primary Children's next week. We will be seeing Audiology, Neurology, Ophthalmology and her comprehensive care doctor. Traveling is hard. The car is pack to the brim with all the supplies we bring. Plus, driving that far while she has so many seizures and spasms is going to be rough. When she has a bad spasm in the car....she doesn't understand why she can't be held. We both are already preparing for a week of minimal sleep. And..as helpful as her doctors are....it is also hard to have visits. It is hard being reminded of how severe her brain malformations are.

As much as I try to push these thoughts away....I frequently find myself wondering "What is going to happen next?" Even if we can get her seizures and spasms under control....no one can tell what her brain malformations will mean developmentally. Each week there seems to be a new level of things that are hard for her.

Visits from Aunt Amber!

I find myself thinking so much about Someday. Worrying about it. Stressing about it. And crying about it. 

We know Someday will come. It feels as if it is standing just outside of the door....waiting to sneak in when the door opens. Someday....days won't be so hard. Someday....Adalyn won't have to face such hard trials. When Someday comes...we will have to say good-bye. The thought of Someday scares me....because when Someday comes, our hearts will break. 

Yet I have realized the more I worry about Someday....I loose the moments of the here and now.

I am desperately holding to the good moments that we have with her. They are more beautiful then I can describe. She fills our world with light and hope. 

I heard a quote recently, "Special challenges allow something special to rise to the surface." I don't think I could put it into better words. This has been the hardest challenge of our lives. Never have we felt more helpless. But in the same hand....never have we felt more blessed.

So many people have reached out to us and helped us in countless ways. Our sweet little baby has touched numerous hearts.....and that is what I am most grateful for. 

The past weekend, my sister came to visit. My niece, Emiliee, who is 10, brought a little gift from her friend to Adalyn. When I read this note from this sweet 10 year old girl who has never even met Adalyn....my heart felt so full. She made the little bow in the picture below. Such a tender gift!

Knowing that Adalyn is touching so many lives with her amazing spirit is what gives me strength. 

She is a fighter. She is full of love.....and endures with such patience all her struggles. Seriously...if I were her... I would be crying ALL the time. When I am around her....and I see what she has to face...I know that I can somehow find the courage to keep going. She has helped me to see that God's tender mercies happen in our lives daily if we will just look. 

Sometimes, as my lovely visiting teachers reminded me this week....God doesn't always take our burdens away. Sometimes we have to keep walking....through what can feel like fire. His promise is that He will help us to carry that burden. Miracles are not always easy....but that doesn't make them any less of a marvel or wonder. These hard trials.... they are but a small moment in comparison to eternity.

Never would I have imagined being on the road we are on. Never would I have imagined seeing the "other side" of life....the side that is completely unexpected. Never had I given thought to all of the times things go wrong during a pregnancy....or the times when little babies are born facing such undeniable struggles.

But the amazing part? Never would I have seen of the pure, selfless love that comes from being on this road. Never would I have learned what sacrifice means. Never would I have prayed for so many families that I haven't even met. And the fellow travelers on this road? Well....they are some of the toughest warriors I know. Each day they have to face their own battles with Someday. And each day their kids stand as witnesses that the most beautiful miracles, courage and love comes in such small bodies.

Being on this road.....we have to fight to continue to see and feel hope.

But as David and I have felt..it's a fight we're not giving up on.

The love we have for our sweet girl is worth it. No matter what Someday brings...the here and now is worth it.

Play time is hard work!






I am slowly learning not to let fears control me. I can't keep Adalyn locked away from the world forever. This day, we braved going to the park, It was a perfect afternoon!



My view as I typed this. Lucky me!

For those of you wondering more about Adalyn's condition.....click here.



6 comments:

  1. I work with David's cousin Joe, and I'm so glad that he shared your story. I've been following your story from shortly after Adalyn's birth. I have been praying for her and for you. I don't know what words of comfort I can possibly proffer, but I am so glad you have faith and the Atonement. Enjoy your beautiful girl. Because of the Atonement, she will not miss out on any opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgive me for sharing one more thought! I don't believe that God ever inflicts trials upon us. Trials come as a result on our mortality. There is a variable amount of His intervention in the physical aspects of our mortality, although He can and frequently does bring physical blessings. There is an infinite amount of His intervention in the Spiritual if we let Him. God loves you. He loves Adalyn. I hope you can take comfort in knowing that God didn't cause this trial, but He is there to see you through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a friend of Davids from high school. Thank you for sharing your story. Your strength amidst such looming trials is an inspiration. May the Lord bless you and your beautiful daughter who is a gift to all who know her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading an update on sweet Adalyn. Your family is an example to so many people -- the way you handle this trial is amazing to me. Thanks for your courage and strength!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am Paul's cousin, Sarah Porter Millington. I have met David a handful of times during my life. I am so inspired by your family. Adalyn is so beautiful, and I am thankful that you are able to take a few moments to share her story and pictures with us. In so many ways you have laid down life as you knew it for your sweet little friend. Greater love hath no man than this...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Amanda, David, and Adalyn,
    Thank you for sharing such tender moments with us. Our hearts reach out to you in these hard times. We love you and pray for you each day. Thank you Adalyn for the inspiration you are to all of us, for being so brave as you face this hard trial. Your life definitely has a purpose, to teach us about faith, love, patience, endurance. Thank you Amanda and David for your faith and your pure love. We hope to come and see you soon. Love, The Andersons

    ReplyDelete

Comments...Are loved!