August 30, 2015

Still Standing..

**Disclaimer...the first part of this post isn't written with the intent to make any feel sad....or feel sad for us! We truly are blessed. Writing tends to be the best way I process. With that...I include the good...the bad...and the in-between.**

The hardest question to answer as of late is "How are you guys and Adalyn doing?"

As soon as someone asks us that.....my mind goes over a hundred different thoughts.

Do we tell them how awful her spasms are now? How they make our stomach churn and our hearts hurt to see her little body contorted....face pained....and breaths coming out in gasps? Do we tell them that she seizes so frequently....that at times she has a seizure and a spasm at the same time and is jerked from one to another for several minutes?  Do we tell them how if we get 4 hours of sleep at night....the night was good? Do we tell them how she can't really sleep for more than an hour without having a seizure or spasm? Do I tell them how when it is my turn during the night....I literally rest with one eye open...staring at the monitor.. watching her heart rate...ears peeled listening for any stop in her breathing? Do we tell them how scary it is to face each week....wondering if things will continue to get worse for her? Do we tell them how frustrating it is to make decisions of medicines to put her on....knowing the harsh side effects? Do we tell them how hard it is...knowing that if we can't get these seizures and spasms under control....they will continue and progress and worsen until her little body physically can't take it anymore? Do we tell them that as much as we try to push these thoughts away.....we wonder if she will truly make it to her first birthday? Do we tell them how we can go from feeling pure joy and happiness.....to complete defeat in the same day? Do we tell them how hard it is watching her loose the abilities she has gained?

Like I said.....a hundred different thoughts.

So tired!

Instead of letting that dam of emotions spill out....I tell another truth....

She is growing. She is so adorable. She is incredibly strong....and faces all that she has on her plate with more grace than I could ever fathom to have. Even with having such frequent seizures and spasms.....she doesn't cry. Her eyes well up with tears at times....but she endures it.  She has enough love in her little fingers alone to lighten up a whole room of darkness and touch the hardest heart. She keeps us strong each day. She makes us laugh when we feel like crying. She gives more to us than we could possibly ever give back.
At times, being up with her in the middle of the night....have been some of the most spiritual moments of my life. 

Lately....I have been feeling a little bit like Peter in the New Testament. He and the other apostles were in a boat in the middle of a fierce storm. Stresses were high. They weren't certain if they would make it....when suddenly they looked out...and saw Christ standing on the water. Peter was immediately comforted. He knew everything was going to be okay. In his excitement....he left the boat to walk to his Savior. However....after a few steps... the howling wind and the waves around him filled his heart again with fear. He began to sink....crying out once more to Christ. Without missing a beat...Christ was there....to again pull him to safety. 

So many days I can see the hand of Christ in our lives. I am comforted. Yet...there are so many moments where I see the storm around us.,...I think of all that we face....all that Adalyn faces...and I feel myself beginning to drown. I loose sight. It takes daily effort to seek His hand. To find the comfort that we so need.

There is so much I don't understand.....sometimes I let my mind run wild with all the moments we might not have with her....will we ever hear her giggle? Hear her say mom and dad? Teach her all about princesses and superheros?

I have come to realize that those thoughts are a vicious cycle. It is pointless...and takes away from the here and now. We have both felt the importance of enjoying each moment...even the hard ones. 

I soak up each moment of holding our sweet girl. My heart feels with more love than I can ever describe when she lets out a long sigh while she sleeps. I can't help but smile like a kid on Christmas after giving Adalyn a massage and she is so relaxed and drooling as I rub her hairy little back. I laugh as she lets out the stinkiest toots you have ever smelt from a baby. It makes my day to hear her occasional little squeals....like she is trying to have a real conversation.



Seriously....so relaxed. How can you resist that hairy back! 
I realize more and more each day that this life is but a moment. A long, beautiful and hard moment. The moments in this life are fragile. They easily come and go. The amazing thing is that this life is only the beginning. The hard moments will not last forever. The good moments will become greater. All that is unfair about the here and now will one day be fair.

So until then....soak up each moment. Enjoy every smile. Don't be afraid of letting your tears out. The hard things you face will teach you greater levels of compassion then you can imagine. 
Tender moments! We are so grateful for their help....and being babysitters as we nap.


In taking care of Adalyn...I have truly felt that very thing. I have learned greater depths of love and compassion. Sometimes....I think I am giving every ounce of strength I have in making sure we are doing all we can.....I fail to see that I am getting so much more back. I now read stories or hear about others facing hard trials and my heart stretches for them in ways that it never did before. I find myself loving strangers so completely...and rooting for them in their own hard trenches. I find that my heart overflows with love for my husband and my family

So we keep going. We keep holding on. We keep believing. We keep loving. 

Adalyn has officially been off of steroids for a few days. We will wait another week before starting another. This new medicine that we may try has some pretty harsh side effects...one of them being vision loss. We continue to pray that she won't suffer the side effects of the medicines that she is on! Several different people have sent us links about Cannabis oil....we thank you for thinking about us! We want to try it.....however...it isn't FDA approved. Before we can try it....we have to try all of the medicines and treatments that are FDA approved before we can qualify for it.

Adalyn's activity gym that her vision therapist made for her

We can never thank you all enough for your continued prayers on our behalf!


We have an amazingly sweet friend that sent us a children's book....the following is taken from it. I have teared up so much in reading it... .To our sweet girl....you will be 4 whole months this week! This is exactly how we feel about you! Never in a million years would we trade away one second with you.

"Never before in story or rhyme (not even once upon a time) has the world ever known you, my friend, and it never will, not ever again..... Heaven blew every trumpet and played every horn.....on the wonderful, marvelous night you were born."
-One the Night You Were Born, Nancy Tillman



8 comments:

  1. Oh Amanda she is just so incredibly precious. I just can't tell you how much we love you and are praying for you. Words are too inadequate to say how we feel about the journey you are on and the strength you are giving other people, including us, in addition to your little Adalyn. Thank you for being willing to share with us so much that is so personal. You are not forgotten! We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I LOVE that Supergirl shirt! Adalyn definitely deserves a supergirl shirt! Sure love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so grateful you are sharing these beautiful and hard moments with us!! We love you and are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was reading this talk just now from the ensign and it sounded just like what your saying! Here's a little quote "So, paradoxically, sin, misery, and children help create the context for learning what joy means—a process made possible by the Atonement of Jesus Christ.
    Because of the Atonement, we can learn from our experiences without being condemned by them. And receiving the Atonement, as Adam and Eve did, is not just a doctrine about erasing black marks; it is the core doctrine that allows human development. Thus, Christ’s sacrifice didn’t just return them to an Eden of innocence. That would be a story with no plot and no character growth. Rather, they left the garden holding on to each other and moving forward, together, into the world in which we now live."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe how cute and chubby she is getting! You are doing an amazing job!I know it is hard, but you are a wonderful example of faith and strength. will continue to pray for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda.....she is so beautiful! You and David are taking such good care of her......she just glows!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just from all the wonderful things you've said about her, now I love her so much and admire her strength. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet girl and her back hair!! An the family selfie :)! "Never before in story or rhyme (not even once upon a time) has the world ever known you, my friend, and it never will, not ever again..... Heaven blew every trumpet and played every horn.....on the wonderful, marvelous night you were born." What true true words..

    ReplyDelete

Comments...Are loved!