November 10, 2016

Coming Home.

During our stay in the PICU...we realized soon that Adalyn wasn't going to get better. I still wasn't ready to accept that though. Countless times I prayed....Telling God exactly what I wanted. Exactly what we need. Begging....bargaining.... and pleading for things to be different. For results to come back better...

Yet over and over....David and I got the same answer.  It was time for us to let our brave, perfect little girl go home. 

Making the decision to remove Adalyn's breathing tube was the absolute hardest of my life. To know that we would only have a short time left would instantly throw me into a panic. Even today, I struggle to think of that.

After removing the tube, Adalyn never again had a seizure. It was our miracle. Her entire countenance radiated wisdom...comfort...and peace. She was tired, yet her eyes were so calm. She even "talked" in those days after removing her tube.

First time holding her after the tube was removed...best feeling! 

We had a big meeting, with absolutely everyone involved in her care. Best case scenario, with each treatment option we could try....it would maybe buy us another month. As much as we wanted to keep her with us, we couldn't put her through what we knew was only a chance at more time.

Some of the physical angels we were surrounded by helped arrange for us to be flown home.

November 10th, we finally came back home. 

There are no words to describe how I felt leaving some of our family...both mine and David's sister...knowing that would be the last time they got to shower her in kisses.


Her life-flight nurses dressed her perfectly. She looked so cozy and beautiful. My eyes could hardly leave her perfect face the entire flight home. Almost as if my heart was trying to etch each and every detail of her into my memory. 









As soon as we were settled in that night... it was clear how much Adalyn had wanted to be home too.

That night was the last perfectly calm night we would have. I won't go into detail, because it's too close to my heart.... But that night was one of the most sacred of my life. The capacity of love that filled that room was beyond anything I had ever felt. I know angels were present....and the prayers from so many were comforting us...

The days that followed...we spent every single second next to our sweet girl.





As I have reflected on that day... so many thoughts have come to mind. I wanted to hope that this November would, in some ways this year, be much more calm...and give my heart a chance to find the pieces of itself again.

Oh how I miss this..

Yet, this past weekend has once more set David and I into a tailspin. 

On Saturday, David's defibrillator (much like a pacemaker) started beeping every few hours. Most people might not know the feeling of their body randomly making beeping noises...or sounding like an English ambulance...but David sure does. We wanted to hope it was just his device malfunctioning and sending off a false alarm.

As it would turn out...one of the leads going from the device into his heart has shattered. Meaning, David needs immediate surgery to replace it. 

When we heard the news....I wanted to say, "You're kidding me, right?" How is it possible to so frequently have such horrible timing... When we found out we were pregnant earlier this year...one of my fears was something going wrong with David around the same time we were having a baby again. I told myself I was being irrational....and shell shocked from the past year. Yet here we are.

The complicated part is that David already has too many excess wires in his heart from old leads. They generally don't remove old leads because of the risk it poses. However....they can't fit a new lead in...unless they remove an old lead.

The risk with removing a lead is that it can puncture a hole in the heart wall. Having a hole in your heart is not a good thing... 

The lead they need to replace is one David rarely needs....but essentially...it is his life saving lead. If anything goes wrong, like heart going way too fast, it's the lead that delivers a shock to his heart to get him back into a normal rhythm. Imagine the paddles you see in medical shows....that's what his device does.

In the mean time...David gets to wear this fashionable "Life Vest" It monitors his heart....and can deliver a shock if needed. 

You can tell he really loves it. 

So, this week, on the 17th...David goes in for surgery.. Not because his heart itself is having problems..His heart is doing great. It is just the device/leads inside. His doctor set us up with one of the best lead extraction surgeons in the nation. If all goes well, the surgery will be several hours...and we'll get to come home after a couple days. Worst case scenario... if a hole is punctured, they do emergency open heart to fix the hole.

And....our little boy is set to arrive on the 27th. 

Needless to say....there have been many tears shed in the Brown house these past few days. It's hard to not understand. Hard to feel like the rain clouds are so constant.

I have no doubt Adalyn gets so much of her amazing courage and strength from her brave Daddy. They are the two most incredible souls I have ever known.  I feel beyond lucky I get to call them mine....but feeling so helpless to fixing things is debilitating at times.

I wish I could say I have some sort of insight... All I know for sure....is that some days are hard. Really hard. 

Some months are hard. Really hard. 

So....this week...I find myself begging, bargaining... and pleading once more. Mostly just trying to remind myself to trust in Someone greater. We are praying that all goes so smoothly with David's surgery. Praying that we feel Adalyn so very close. And praying that our growing little boy stays inside for as long as possible.

2 comments:

  1. Yes siree! David and Adalyn are two very incredible people!! I don't know if I've ever met someone braver than them.
    But don't forget yourself Amanda! You're pretty brave too :) and have one of the biggest HEARTS of anyone I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your link was posted to my time line by my neice Ashley. I saw the picture of your beautiful Adalyn and had to open it up and read it. I'm amazed at the strength you both have! I don't know you from adam, but I truly admire your character and strength. My heart goes out to you and your loved ones. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers for a perfect outcome to David's surgery and the birth of your son. Take care. Becky Shields

    ReplyDelete

Comments...Are loved!