October 8, 2013

Half.

I know it's been about a month, but I felt like 13 miles is story worthy.

I'm not a huge distance runner. I'm usually perfectly content with a 5K.

However, one of my new year resolutions was to run a half marathon. I had to prove to myself that I could do it.. So this past summer..I became friends with the treadmill, some new running shoes, and sweat. (Vegas summers are not sport friendly).

I hired a trainer.

Ok ok....that was a lie. David won the duty of being my trainer and support.....either listening to me whine about blisters, giving me tips on what to to better and even rubbing my feet. (That's true love!)

Game day. I was scared and excited out of my mind. Did I mention I had left my running shoes in Las Vegas? Yes. That meant I was wearing brand new shoes. Ouch!

This may seem silly to some to associate running with an emotional experience, but this time, it was. 13 Miles seemed like a giant mountain to me. Almost insurmountable.

In the beginning, things were great! Half the race flew by before I even realize it. Then... I felt as if a ran into a big fat metal wall going full force. It became hard. My legs felt like they were going fall off. My arms were sore. I was exhausted. However, each time I felt like stopping, my new friend kept me from it. (Probably because I wouldn't start again).

By the 12th mile.....I was convinced I wouldn't make it. I felt like there were 13 more miles in that last mile! As much as I wanted to, I didn't quit! I did it. In that last .1 mile, hearing all of these wonderful people cheering....made me feel like I could do anything! Not to mention seeing my family. I felt so loved!

In that time, I realized I can do hard things. Even if that means running 13 more miles. Of course there are going to be plenty of hard things to overcome in this life. At times, those things may seem insurmountable or impossible. There will be multiple times when giving up seems much better. But in the end, it's love and a whole lot of prayer that pulls you through.

I'm blessed to have amazing friend! A shout out to my new friend Catherine for being such a support! Especially those last few miles!

(Ignore the socks..) I couldn't have done it without him! 

They even gave me hugs when I was sweaty. What an amazing family I have!

I'm amazed by these girls! (Note...this was also Jordan's first trip to Utah!!)

Now it is pretty much fall here in good old Nevada....

And I couldn't be happier. 

Time for Christmas songs...cookies....pumpkins...fudge....cinnamon rolls...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments...Are loved!